Biblical Repentance | Forum

Bro Steve Winter DD
Bro Steve Winter DD Jun 10 '20

Biblical Repentance

Looking at the new testament plan of salvation from the AV and the Darby Bibles (indexed to Strong's concordance) we see:

Ac 2:38 Then <1161> Peter <4074> said <5346> (5713) to <4314> them <846>,   Repent ye <3340> (5657), and <2532> each one <1538> of you <5216> be    baptized <907> (5682) in <1909> the name <3686> of Jesus <2424> Christ    <5547> for <1519> the remission <859> of sins <266>, and <2532> ye shall    receive <2983> (5695) the gift <1431> of the Holy <40> Spirit <4151>.

Ac 2:38 And Peter said to them, Repent, and be baptised, each one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for remission of sins, and ye will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The first step in the new testament plan of salvation is repentance.  This means a turning away from sin.  A painter who repents of painting QUITS painting; if he truly repented of painting, he doesn't continue to paint.

3340 metanoeo {met-an-o-eh'-o}

from 3326 and 3539; TDNT - 4:975,636; v

AV - repent 34; 34

1) to change one's mind, i.e. to repent

2) to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence    of one's past sins

The first step of faith in becoming a Christian is to repent of one's sins.  Always repentance involves a change of mind and a change of lifestyle.

Ezekiel 14:6  Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations.

Ezekiel 18:30  Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

Ezekiel 24:14  I the LORD have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent ; according to thy ways, and according to thy doings, shall they judge thee, saith the Lord GOD.

Noting the Lord's statement that He will not repent of His position gives us insight into the meaning of the word, "repent".  Remember that repentance from sin is the first step of faith that a man takes towards salvation.

Matthew 4:17  From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Jesus clearly preached repentance.

Mark 1:15  And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Notice repent AND believe.

Luke 13:3  I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Luke 13:5  I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Acts 2:38  Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Repentance, the first step of faith of salvation.

Acts 3:19  Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Notice that it says repent AND be converted. There is more to Christian conversion than repentance, though repentance is a 

necessary FIRST STEP.

Acts 17:30  And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

There is no question that in the New Testament Church dispensation that repentance is essential.

Acts 26:20  But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should  repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Even Churches exhorted to repentance.

Revelation 2:5  Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Revelation 2:16  Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

We look back even at John the Baptist when the multitude came to be baptised.  He demanded to see proof of their repentance.

Luke 3:7  Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

8  Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

There is a sorrow of the world that is not really repentance.  Many a criminal is sorry because they got caught or people are sorry because of the results of sin, but that, in itself, is not repentance.

2 Corinthians 7:10  For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

To repent from something one quits doing whatever it was.

Bro. sTeve Winter DD

http://biblefolk.com/forum/4

0 0 0