Order in the Church | Forum

Bro Steve Winter DD
Bro Steve Winter DD Jun 17 '19

Order in the Church

There are teachings in the Bible that Paul affectionately refers to as 'commandments'.  He devotes a whole chapter to the subject of a Christian worship service; that is Corinthians 14.  As a foundation, let me point out how Paul ended his exportation. (I trust that we are mature enough to realize that the book of Corinthians IS the Word of God for the Church, and not merely the Church at Corinth)

I Corinthians 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Paul gave instructions concerning the "gift of tongues" during a worship service.  Of course the "gift of tongues" is not the "other" tongues that a person speaks in when they are filled with the Holy Spirit.

There is a LIMIT of three messages per service with the "gift of tongues" and that the gift of tongues needs the "gift of interpretation".  In every instance that I have witnessed when there is a message in tongues it is one person speaking out with the rest of the church in relative silence.  What Paul is teaching is that unless there is "interpretation", a message in unknown tongues does not edify the Body of Christ.  However sometimes there are many filled with the Holy Ghost speaking in "other tongues" and several at the same time, and THAT is in order, because a person being filled with the Holy Ghost is NOT the "gift of tongues". 

I Corinthians 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue pray that he may interpret.

I Corinthians 14:27 If any man speak in an [unknown] tongue, [let it be] by two, or at the most [by] three, and [that] by course; and let one interpret.

I Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Notice this last verse very closely, please!  Paul is saying that the man (given those conditions) is to keep SILENCE, in the sense of "addressing the congregation", now that does NOT forbid that man while not publicly ADDRESSING the church, to pray aloud to God. A person can pray quietly, or in a group QUITE LOUDLY without addressing his words to the whole congregation.

Understanding that Paul is speaking to the issue of a person being the "center of attention" while "addressing the crowd" (which IS the case when the "gift of tongues" is manifested in a worship service.)

I Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

Women, however, are commanded NOT to address the congregation during a worship service.  Paul did not stop there, he added to that commandment that they were also NOT to even ask their husbands questions during a worship service, because a woman speaking in a worship service is SHAME. 

I Corinthians 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. 

Then, notice the VERY NEXT VERSES. Notice that Paul uses the 'C' word. The use of the 'C' word implies that these are more than optional suggestions.

I Corinthians 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

I Corinthians 14:38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

Other areas in the Word of God that also firmly support this doctrine. 

I Timothy 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

I Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

I Timothy 2:10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

I Timothy 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

I Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

I Timothy 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

I Timothy 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

It is rebellion against the Word of God to set a woman over men in authority in the Church (like having a woman run the worship or the music), or to appoint women as teachers of men. It does NOT say that a woman cannot teach children or other women or witness and testify the WHOLE remainder of the hours of the week that are spent OUTSIDE of a worship service. REMEMBER, in the true church Christianity, praying, witnessing, testifying, praising, etc. is not just something that you 'go do'  several times a week. It is all day long all year long, with times of assembling together with those of like precious faith in a formal worship service. It is THOSE times of formal worship that Paul is addressing in Corinthians 14 

Pastor, having problems in your church?  Have you tried obeying the basics of the Bible?

Bro. Steve Winter DD

http://biblefolk.com/forum/4

0 0 0