Praise and Worship to God | Forum

Bro Steve Winter DD
Bro Steve Winter DD Apr 20 '16

Praise and worship to God

If I were to take you to a ball game and some man on the team I preferred managed to carry a bag of air across a designated line or toss it through a basket and I started clapping and shouting and jumping up and down would you find it odd or concerning?  YET when real Christians give their heart felt praise and worship to God instead of to a sports god, many find it odd or even offensive if not merely embarrassing to be around, eh?

Mark 12:30  And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Sports fans have no problem praising their heros with all of their heart soul and strength, eh?  

There are many examples of the importance of praise and worship to God. There are also many references to musical instruments used to praise the Lord.

I also believe that the Bible teaches a whole hearted exuberant enthusiastic music and praise, even dance to the Lord.

Psalms 9:11  Sing praises to the LORD, which dwelleth in Zion: declare among the people his doings.

Psalms 18:49  Therefore will I give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and sing praises unto thy name.

Psalms 22:3  But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

Psalms 27:6  And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.

Psalms 47:6  Sing praises to God, sing praises: sing praises unto our King, sing praises.

Psalms 47:7  For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding.

Psalms 56:12  Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.

Psalms 68:4  Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him.

Psalms 68:32  Sing unto God, ye kingdoms of the earth; O sing praises unto the Lord; Selah:

Psalms 75:9  But I will declare for ever; I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.

Psalms 78:4  We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.

Psalms 92:1  <<A Psalm or Song for the sabbath day.>> It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High:

Psalms 108:3  I will praise thee, O LORD, among the people: and I will sing praises unto thee among the nations.

Psalms 135:3  Praise the LORD; for the LORD is good: sing praises unto his name; for it is pleasant.

Psalms 144:9  I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee.

Psalms 146:2  While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.

Psalms 147:1  Praise ye the LORD: for it is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely.

Psalms 149:3  Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

Psalms 148:4  Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens.

Psalms 148:5  Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created.

Psalms 149:1 ¶ Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.

Psalms 150:1 ¶ Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2  Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3  Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

4  Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

5  Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

6  Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Psalms 141:1 <<A Psalm of David.>> LORD, I cry unto thee: make haste unto me; give ear unto my voice, when I cry unto thee.

2  Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

It is scriptural that we offer sacrifice to God in the form of our praise and worship.

But there is something else to consider.   As important as praise and worship are,  there is something more important.   Many churches are strong in praise and worship but neglect the greater matter.

1 Samuel 15:22  And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

23  For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

24  And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice.

25  Now therefore, I pray thee, pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD.

26  And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel.

Note something here that is of great importance.   Repentance is not guaranteed.  There are Biblical examples of people who went too far and God did NOT accept their repentance.

Obedience is more important than praise and worship, but blessed is the Church that offers praise and worship to God from a foundation of Obedience to His Word.

Hebrews 5:9  And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Jesus is only the author of salvation to those who obey His Word.

Make sure that your praise and worship is built on a foundation of Obedience.  Otherwise, according to the Word of God, you might as well be practicing witchcraft.  Think about that!   Churches that disregard the Word of God might as well be practicing witchcraft.

Proverbs 28:9  He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

People in false-christian cults or even "Oneness" that have turned their backs on the Word of God are only deceiving themselves.

James 1:22  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

A person who does not praise the Lord with all of their heart soul and strength is NOT obeying the Word of God.

Bro Steve Winter

http://biblefolk.com/forum/4

3 0 +3