Snake handlers | Forum

Bro Steve Winter DD

The subject of snake handlers, while a foreign concept to most, is a very real belief in some areas. Many years ago, decades before I became a Christian, I worked with a young man who went to a snake handling church.  I can't remember his name and would not share it if I did but he fit the definition of a strapping young man.  He was somewhat reserved but was willing to answer sincere questions.

Once in a while he would bring a basket with him and keep it in his locker.  He said it had a snake in it.  None of us ever even tried to sneak a peek.

He would come to work on some Mondays with a white pallor, very pale actually that he attributed to snakebites.

After I got to know him and he had been there a while I will never forget when he shared with me one day in a very whiney voice, "Man I am so sick of those snakes."

Snake handling is a cultish activity built upon pride and ignorance of the Word of God.  When the Apostle Paul was bitten by a snake it was purely by accident and he got rid of that snake as fast as he could.

Acts 28:3 And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand. 

Acts 28:4 And when the barbarians saw the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live. 

Acts 28:5 And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm.

Note that Paul got rid of the snake and even killed it.  As it is written, though, it did not hurt him.

Next is a verse that is misunderstood and needs to be considered in light of the verses below it here.

Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Matt 4:5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, 

Matt 4:6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. 

Matt 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Luke 4:12 And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

If God manifest in the flesh stated that it was sin to tempt God then we must learn from that.

So, what part about, "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." do they not understand?

Regards, 

Bro. Winter

0 0 0
Bro Steve Winter DD
Bro Steve Winter DD Apr 22 '13
There is a vile devil named Jerry Rudd who came here claiming to be an Apostolic preacher and serpent handler.  He sent me a rather vile email threat for having him barred from here.  Agree with me in prayer that the Lord reward him according to his works and deliver any honest hearted from his hand.

Bro. Winter

0 0 0
Billy Vaughn
Billy Vaughn Apr 23 '13
You had him barred for having a different viewpoint? Are opposing view points not welcome here?
0 0 0
Bro Steve Winter DD
Bro Steve Winter DD Apr 23 '13
Wolves, devils, etc who teach false doctrine are not welcome here.  This is not the devil's facebook.

0 0 0