Tithing in the New Testament Church | Forum

Bro Steve Winter DD

A Bible study regarding tithing that was posted at The Truth Of The Bible

http://prime.org/thetruth/index.php?topic=604.0

I understand that many organizations in this hour are so corrupt that many are leaning towards throwing all that they were taught away and starting from scratch but many are throwing bathwater on the baby.  Just because most Oneness organizations are corrupt does not mean that everything they teach is wrong!  There are many traditions and "old paths" that are established and basic.  One of those is tithing.  Many are confused about what goes and what stays from the teachings of the Old Testament into the New Testament.   Ceremonial laws are not for the Church such as animal sacrifices and dietary laws which were clearly done away with.   The New Testament doesn't go into a whole lot of detail about murder but it is still very "not recommended".

Tithing however, pre dates the law and was never done away with.  Something as strong as "robbing God" is worth our serious consideration especially since Jesus Himself referred to it as important.  Of course, it is very important that any tithes be paid to a true Acts 2:38 minister or organization.  I believe that those who support trinitarian and other false-christian ministries will find themselves in judgment as partakers (and YES that includes those of YOU who support false-christian music groups and ministries by purchasing their products.)

Mal 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. 

Mal 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. 

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 

That is not the ceremonial law, folks.  We don't disregard the foundation of the Old Testament.

Matt 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Jesus reaffirmed tithing in the New Testament.

Gen 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God. Gen 14:19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: 

Gen 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

See this "pre law" example of tithing?  This is not an ego game folks.  Don't be blown about with every wind of doctrine and the opinions of wannabe preachers with no real foundation regardless of their good intentions.

Rom 12:7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

Teachers had better know what they are talking about rather than playing with the souls of men teaching their every whim and fancy to feed their egos.

Note carefully that these next verses are in the New Testament and Paul confirms that what God ordained for the priests in the Old Testament is continued in the New Testament.  If you need a solid confirmation of the FACT that tithing is God ordained for the New Testament, these verses supply it, but you have to look closely.

1Cor 9:13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? 

1Cor 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

So what exactly did God ordain in the Old Testament other than the tithe?  What were the priests at the alter partaking of if not the TITHES of the people?  Paul states that EVEN SO hath the Lord ordained it for the preachers of the Gospel.

There is only one example in the Bible that I am aware of where God commands us to put him to the test.

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it

The God ordained method for the support of the Gospel ministry is tithing.  Don't be deceived by every rinkydink garbage doctrine that pops up!

The same Paul who reconfirmed tithing in his letter to the Corinthians also exorts the Saints:

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

This next verse is Old Testament.  Is it not the Word of God?

Jer 6:16 Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

Is it not from the Old Testament that we know that it is abomination for men to wear dresses or women to wear pants?

Deut 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

Is it not from the Old Testament that we know that rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft?

1Sam 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, he hath also rejected thee from being king. *

Also, consider this FACT:  EVERY TIME anyone  in the Bible, including Jesus Christ, quotes scripture, they are quoting from the Old Testament.

2Pet 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 

2Pet 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 

Peter CONFIRMS that Paul's epistles are SCRIPTURE.

Don't be deceived.  Make sure your tithe is going to a real man of God or Godly organization.  Otherwise it will count against you in judgment instead of richly blessing you in this life and the world to come.

Bro Steve Winter

For Bible doctrine http://www.TheTruthOfTheBible.com

For Christian music http://www.winterband.com

0 0 0